A law enforcer. Photo by Yelena Sineok, Yuga.ru

11 February 2022, 10:47

Human rights defenders voice out law enforcers' violations in death case of detained Yeysk resident

The father of Ilya Smolin, who was kept at the temporary isolation facility (known as the IVS) in the city of Yeysk, has learned about his son's death from strangers; for more than a week, he was not allowed to examine his son's body in the morgue. In case of a detainee's death, law enforcers are obliged to notify relatives within a few hours, human rights defenders have pointed out.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that Ilya Smolin, a resident of Kuban (the Krasnodar Territory), died after being detained in Yeysk. According to the police, the cause of the death was in his heart problems; however, Ilya's parents drew attention to haematomas on his body and demanded to check the circumstances of his death.

Ilya Smolin, 33, was detained on January 12, his father said. "Allegedly, he was wanted under the article "intentional infliction of grievous bodily harm," said Oleg Smolin, the father.

According to Oleg, when examining Ilya's body in the morgue, he noticed many haematomas and fractures in his son's body; in particular, his nose was broken.

The "Caucasian Knot" has repeatedly reported about torture used in Kuban power structures. Thus, in October 2021, the mother of Giorgi Kavelidze, a resident of Kuban, who died after detention, announced that her son had been tortured. After leaving the police station, Kavelidze fell into coma and died. He claimed that he had been beaten up to force him to confess to a murder.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on February 10, 2022 at 02:49 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Alyona Sadovskaya Source: Caucasian Knot

All news

March 23, 2023 20:22

  • Court refuses to consider Zemfira Tskaeva's claim against MIA

    The lawsuit filed by the widow of Vladimir Tskaev, a resident of Vladikavkaz who died after being questioned by the police, against the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) demanding 15 million roubles in compensation was left without consideration.

March 23, 2023 19:33

March 23, 2023 19:00

  • Human rights defenders show consequences of search in “Memorial”* office

    Law enforcers scattered papers and furniture and seized personal computers during a search carried out in an office of the Human Rights Centre “Memorial”* located on Maly Karetny Lane. No advocates were allowed to attend the procedure of the search, so it is still unknown what exactly has been seized, human rights defenders emphasize.

March 22, 2023 21:53

  • Oleg Orlov released after interrogation

    After being interrogated as a witness within the case of Nazism rehabilitation, law enforcers released Oleg Orlov, a co-chairman of the "Memorial" Centre for Human Rights Defence. Orlov refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement and was unable to obtain a copy of the search protocol.

March 22, 2023 21:45

  • Social network post causes Oleg Orlov's persecution

    Experts have decided that the article written by Oleg Orlov, a human rights defender, for some French edition and posted in his page on a social network, contains signs of discrediting the Russian Army. During the interrogation, Orlov has explained that he had expressed only his personal opinion. Investigators have chosen his freedom restraint measure in the form of recognizance not to leave. Now, Orlov is awaiting interrogation within the case of Nazism rehabilitation.

News archive