22 July 2009, 19:00

UN: by consent to international investigation of Estemirova's murder, Russian authorities will show their intention to find gunmen

Rashid Aluash, adviser of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the Russian Federation, believes that by consenting to hold an independent international investigation into Natalia Estemirova's murder, Russian leaders will manifest their commitment to reveal the culprits.

We remind you that UN independent experts in the sphere of human rights have offered their help to Russian government in investigation of a series of murders of human rights defenders, lawyers and journalists, including the murder of Natalia Estemirova, an employee of the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial".

According to Rashid Aluash, this statement was made by independent experts of the United Nations on their own initiative. "They are the so-called independent UN experts, owners of the mandates of "Special Rapporteurs". They work on particular topical issues. The statement was sent to Russian authorities, and the press release about the offer issued by our office in Geneva was received yesterday by our representative office in Moscow," Mr Aluash said to the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent.

The statement of seven UN experts in the area of human rights says that they are sending their request to Russian authorities aiming to get an invitation in response to come to the country and help the authorities in running an independent investigation into a number of murders of human rights activists who were defending human rights, lawyers and journalists accomplished in recent years; many of them were related to the situation with observance of human rights in Chechnya and other republics of Northern Caucasus, including Natalia Estemirova's recent murder.

The "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told at the UN headquarters in Geneva that so far there was no answer of the Russian party to experts' letter.

Author: Dmitry Florin Source: CK correspondent

Комментирование через Кавказский узел
All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 03, 2025 22:57

  • Relatives of political prisoners announce 24-hour protest in Tbilisi

    Families of oppositionists arrested in connection with participation in pro-European protest actions have united in a public movement to demand the release of prisoners of conscience. The activists plan to start a 24-hour protest action in front of the parliament building in Tbilisi.

April 03, 2025 22:13

  • Sister of convicted Rizvanov demands answer about legality of law enforcers’ visits

    Two men came to the house of the parents of Abubakar Rizvanov, who was sentenced to imprisonment in a case on terrorism financing, and demanded the information about the place of residence of his children. A sister of Abubakar Rizvanov regarded the constant visits by law enforcers as pressure and demanded an answer about the legality of their actions.

April 03, 2025 21:58

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4