After the terror acts at Boston Marathon finish line. April 15, 2013. Photo by Aaron "tango" Tang, http://www.flickr.com/photos/hahatango/8652857375/in/set-72157633252445135

22 April 2013, 20:00

Johar Tsarnaev charged with using of weapon of mass destruction

Today, Johar Tsarnaev, suspected of involvement in terror acts in Boston, faces charges. At the same time, it became known that the US authorities do not intend to question him as a participant of armed hostilities.

According to Gary Wente, a court representative, charges of using weapons of mass destruction have been developed and registered. If found guilty Johar Tsarnaev could face sentences of up to life imprisonment or the death penalty, the RIA "Novosti" reports with reference to Reuters.

Meanwhile, the US authorities declined the interrogation of the suspect as a participant of armed hostilities, since the criminal trial in on the case of terrorism. This was by Jay Carney, White House Press Secretary, at the press briefing, the "Interfax" reports.

According to the White House Press Secretary, the appropriate decision has been made by the US Justice Department, and all law enforcement agencies supported the decision.

Let us remind you that after the detention of Johar Tsarnaev, several members of the Senate and the US Congress proposed to recognize him a participant of armed hostilities against the USA and to interrogate him in a special mode. If that proposal is adopted, Johar Tsarnaev could be interrogated without informing him of his right to remain silent, he could be deprived of the opportunity to hire an advocate, and pre-trial investigation would not be limited to 48 hours. Besides, he could be sent to Guantanamo Bay detention camp.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) opposed the proposal. The ACLU was supported by the Amnesty International (AI).

The law enforcement agencies of the Chechen Republic do not have any information that might evidence the involvement of Tsarnaev brothers in the Islamist underground.

"We have no incriminating data against Tamerlan and Johar Tsarnaev, whom the US authorities believe to be the organizers of terror acts in the city of Boston. Although Tsarnaev brothers are ethnic Chechens, they practically did not live in the republic. One of them was born in Kyrgyzstan, and the second brother seems to be born in Dagestan. Moreover, they, together with other members of their family, except their father, have been living in the United States for more than ten years," the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told by a staff member of the law enforcement agencies of the republic.

He believes that the allegations of possible connection of Tamerlan with Caucasian militants unlikely represent the real facts.

"However, we cannot absolutely exclude such an option, since, at least, last year the eldest of Tsarnaev brothers came to Dagestan from the United States and spent several months in Dagestan. During that time, any unpredictable events could occur," said the law enforcer.

He has described as "incredible" the assumption that the terror act in Boston could be carried out by the order of Dokku Umarov. He has also added that Dokku Umarov or some other leaders of the underground "actually do not care about the United States, Britain and other Western countries".

Комментирование через Кавказский узел
All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 03, 2025 22:57

  • Relatives of political prisoners announce 24-hour protest in Tbilisi

    Families of oppositionists arrested in connection with participation in pro-European protest actions have united in a public movement to demand the release of prisoners of conscience. The activists plan to start a 24-hour protest action in front of the parliament building in Tbilisi.

April 03, 2025 22:13

  • Sister of convicted Rizvanov demands answer about legality of law enforcers’ visits

    Two men came to the house of the parents of Abubakar Rizvanov, who was sentenced to imprisonment in a case on terrorism financing, and demanded the information about the place of residence of his children. A sister of Abubakar Rizvanov regarded the constant visits by law enforcers as pressure and demanded an answer about the legality of their actions.

April 03, 2025 21:58

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4