31 October 2018, 12:09

Azerbaijani journalist complains about torture after detention

In Baku, law enforcers kept journalist Ismail Islamoglu for three days and did not recognize the fact of detention, an advocate reported. Ismail Islamoglu himself complained that he had been tortured. According to the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA), the journalist was not brought to a police station until his bride filed a complaint about his disappearance.

On social networks, the disappearance of Ismail Islamoglu was reported on October 26. On that day, the journalist left the office, but did not reach home, his colleagues, the "Caucasian Knot" correspondent was told by employees of the "Kanal-13" online TV Channel.

At night on October 30, the journalist published a video message on Facebook. He stated that two people in civilian clothes had detained him and taken him to a police station in Baku.

"I was insulted and beaten. My whole body aches ... They put on my head a plastic bag earlier used to carry tangerines, and they forced me to keep standing for several hours. They threatened not only me, but also my relatives, and then they ordered me to stop criticizing the authorities," stated Ismail Islamoglu.

He demanded from the MIA to investigate the incident as a case of kidnapping.

Ismail Islamoglu actively criticized the authorities in social networks and his disappearance was not the first case of "detention of journalists and users of social networks" that occurred recently, said Ogtai Gyulyalyev, a coordinator of the Centre for the Protection of Political Prisoners.

The Ismail Islamoglu's posts could become the reason for his detention, believes Ganimat Zakhid, the head of the "Turan" opposition TV Channel.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on October 31, 2018 at 02:44 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Faik Medjid Source: CK correspondent

Комментирование через Кавказский узел
All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

April 01, 2025 22:38

April 01, 2025 21:57

April 01, 2025 21:42

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4