28 November 2020, 13:15

Law enforcers explain detention of Muslims in Astrakhan by search for criminals

Law enforcers have let the Muslims detained near the Red Mosque go home. The police have stated that these were actions aimed at searching for people hiding from investigators and the court. Muslims were offended that such checks are carried out in mosques during the Friday prayer (namaz).

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on November 27, in Astrakhan, after checking documents, law enforcers put several dozen Muslims, leaving the Red Mosque after namaz, into buses and took them to police stations, refusing to explain the reasons for the raid.

The "Caucasian Knot" correspondent visited one of the stations, where part of the parishioners of the Red Mosque had been delivered. After 4:15 p.m., the detainees began to be released from the station one by one.

The released parishioners told the "Caucasian Knot" that about 40 people had been brought to this police station.

The believers were outraged that such actions were conducted in mosques during the Friday namaz.

"They [law enforcers] say, 'It's done like this everywhere.' Where 'everywhere'? I come to the shopping centre – they don't take me; I come to polyclinic – they don't take me; why they do it in the mosque?" Yusuf wonders.

The Department for the Astrakhan Region of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MIA) has explained the raid at the Red Mosque by operative and prophylactic actions.

"In the Kirov District of Astrakhan, we conducted prophylactic actions aimed to establish the whereabouts of persons hiding from the bodies of inquiry, investigation and court, and evading the execution of punishment," the press service of the Department told the "Caucasian Knot".

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on November 28, 2020 at 04:53 am MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Alena Sadovskaya Source: CK correspondent

Комментирование через Кавказский узел
All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 03, 2025 22:57

  • Relatives of political prisoners announce 24-hour protest in Tbilisi

    Families of oppositionists arrested in connection with participation in pro-European protest actions have united in a public movement to demand the release of prisoners of conscience. The activists plan to start a 24-hour protest action in front of the parliament building in Tbilisi.

April 03, 2025 22:13

  • Sister of convicted Rizvanov demands answer about legality of law enforcers’ visits

    Two men came to the house of the parents of Abubakar Rizvanov, who was sentenced to imprisonment in a case on terrorism financing, and demanded the information about the place of residence of his children. A sister of Abubakar Rizvanov regarded the constant visits by law enforcers as pressure and demanded an answer about the legality of their actions.

April 03, 2025 21:58

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4