Timur Debishev. Screenshot of personal Instagram page

24 June 2021, 18:45

Rights defenders consider court’s decision in case on torture of Debishev to be a trick

Today, the Supreme Court (SC) of Chechnya has cancelled the decision of a lower instance court that upheld the investigators’ refusal to institute a criminal case on a complaint about torture filed by Grozny theatre actor Timur Debishev. The transfer of the case for reconsideration does not allow appealing to a court of cassation outside the republic and to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR), notes a lawyer of the “Committee against Torture” (CaT).

The “Caucasian Knot” has reported that in September 2019, Dmitry Piskunov, the head of the CaT’s North-Caucasian branch, said that investigators had already four times refused to institute a criminal case on the Timur Debishev’s complaint about torture after his detention. Forensic experts confirmed that Debishev had been tortured with electric current, but investigators preferred to accept the law enforcers' version.

On May 18, the Staropromyslovskiy District Court of Grozny re-considered the complaint of human rights defenders and again refused to grant it. Human rights defenders have challenged the above decision at the Supreme Court of Chechnya, and today, it has cancelled the decision of the Staropromyslovskiy District Court of Grozny and sent the case for reconsideration, reports Leysan Mannapova, a lawyer of the Committee against Torture.

“This time, Judge of the Supreme Court has cancelled the decision of the lower instance court, because Timur Debishev was not notified of the consideration of the complaint in the court of first instance. We get the impression that they are deliberately looking for any, the smallest, formal reason to cancel [the decision of the Staropromyslovskiy District Court]. And this ping pong game goes on,” Leysan Mannapova said.

The lawyer has emphasized that the next return of the complaint to the first instance court for reconsideration does not provide an opportunity to exhaust the possibilities of internal protection and to submit a complaint to the ECtHR, as well as to send a complaint to a court of cassation.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on June 24, 2021 at 02:58 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Alena Sadovskaya Source: CK correspondent

All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

April 02, 2025 22:55

  • Verdict to Sochi resident Schus upheld

    The appellate court has refused to change the sentence passed to Alexei Schus, a Sochi engineer, convicted on charges of spreading fake news about the Russian Army and making a slingshot.

April 02, 2025 21:15

  • Kurban Dalgatov's mother assess trial prospects of her son's death case

    The law enforcers guilty of the death of Kurban Dalgatov, a Makhachkala resident, are trying in every way to avoid punishment, while the judges are following their lead, the mother of Kurban, who died after being tortured by the police. The trial of Dalgatov's death case will continue on April 30 this year.

April 01, 2025 22:38

April 01, 2025 21:57

April 01, 2025 21:42

News archive
Пн
Вт
Ср
Чт
Пт
Сб
Вс
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4