The Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial", the Committee against Torture (CaT) and the "Novaya Gazeta" have presented testimonies of witnesses of detentions and disappearances in the period from December 2016 to January 2017 of residents of Chechnya from the so-called "execution list". July 23, 2019. Photo by Gor Alexanyan for the "Caucasian Knot"

24 July 2019, 11:23

Rights defenders voice out new facts on torture and extrajudicial executions in Chechnya

The Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial", the Committee against Torture (CaT) and the "Novaya Gazeta" have presented testimonies of witnesses of detentions and disappearances in the period from December 2016 to January 2017 of residents of Chechnya from the so-called "execution list".

On July 9, 2017, the "Novaya Gazeta" wrote that in Chechnya, on January 26, 2017, the persons detained after the attack on policemen in Grozny on December 17, 2016, were executed.

In July 2019, a trial of the case of 14 people was over in Chechnya. They told how they had been tortured in secret prisons, including with electric shocks, and how accusation against them were falsified.

Elena Milashina, a special correspondent of the "Novaya Gazeta", said that the figurants of the "case of 14" and their relatives decided to testify about what happened, after the defendants were sentenced to almost 10 years in a high security colony.

The case involved 14 residents of the Kurchaloi District; they were sentenced for participating in illegal armed formations (IAFs), possessing explosives and weapons.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on July 23, 2019 at 07:30 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

Author: Gor Alexanyan Source: CK correspondent

All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

May 30, 2024 15:15

May 29, 2024 21:06

  • Court refuses to commute sentences of three Ingush activists

    Barakh Chemurziev, Ismail Nalgiev and Bagaudin Khautiev, who had already served most of their eight-year sentences, have asked the court to replace their remaining prison terms with some sanction not related to freedom deprivation. The court in the Stavropol Territory, where they are in a penal colony, has refused to grant their motions.

May 29, 2024 18:49

May 29, 2024 16:26

May 28, 2024 22:58

News archive