Hajj in 2020. Screenshot of the video https://youtu.be/rIofaJIUSb4

31 July 2020, 11:20

Saudi Arabia: Hajj passes without pilgrims from abroad

This year, due to the pandemic, the pilgrimage to the Muslim shrines in Saudi Arabia is taking place without believers from other countries, including from Northern Caucasus. The number of Hajj participants was reduced from 2.5 million to ten thousand.

The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that this June Saudi Arabian authorities announced the cancellation of the 2020 Hajj for foreign pilgrims to Muslim shrines in Mecca and Medina due to coronavirus. Residents of Dagestan, Chechnya and the Krasnodar Territory were promised refunding of their paid travels; while in Kabardino-Balkaria, they didn't take money at all. The Muftiates of Chechnya and Dagestan asked believers not to take the money back and reserve them for the next year. Chechen believers preferred to take their money back, referring to the "unstable situation."

The Hajj participants began their pilgrimage to Mecca on July 29 under special precautions. In particular, the pilgrims are given sterile clothing and masks; and they also observe the social distance, writes The New York Times.

This year, the pilgrimage is performed only by residents of Saudi Arabia, but 70% of the quota is given to those who have citizenship of other states. The remaining 30% are local health workers and law enforcers who have had coronavirus. In this way, the country's authorities decided to thank them for their dangerous work.

This article was originally published on the Russian page of 24/7 Internet agency ‘Caucasian Knot’ on July 30, 2020 at 09:39 pm MSK. To access the full text of the article, click here.

All news
НАСТОЯЩИЙ МАТЕРИАЛ (ИНФОРМАЦИЯ) ПРОИЗВЕДЕН И РАСПРОСТРАНЕН ИНОСТРАННЫМ АГЕНТОМ ООО “МЕМО”, ЛИБО КАСАЕТСЯ ДЕЯТЕЛЬНОСТИ ИНОСТРАННОГО АГЕНТА ООО “МЕМО”.

July 25, 2024 19:31

July 24, 2024 23:55

  • Analysts treat Chechen authorities' demands for apologies as selective

    Vakhid Ilyasov's apologies for the incident on a Mariupol beach were caused by the pressure of Chechen authorities, while those from Ramzan Kadyrov's retinue rarely apologize for much more serious offences, analysts have pointed out, noting that not all incidents involving natives of Chechnya committed at resorts attract attention of republic's authorities.

July 24, 2024 23:33

July 24, 2024 22:52

July 24, 2024 22:10

  • Kadyrov instructs State Duma member Delimkhanov to protect “Wildberries” Company

    The leader of Chechnya promised Vladislav Bakalchuk, a husband of the richest woman in Russia, that he would not let the Bakalchuk family be destroyed and would “go to the end” to stop the raider takeover of the “Wildberries” Company. Ramzan Kadyrov announced that he had given instructions on the case to Russian State Duma member Adam Delimkhanov.

News archive